Finding a Dermatologist
Your skin is your body’s largest organ and its care is crucial. For that, you need a good, board-certified dermatologist like Dr. Aboutalebi. A dermatologist can monitor your skin and its needs by annual skin checks for skin cancer, and by treating skin conditions such as acne, rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, hair loss, atopic dermatitis, and much more. Dermatologists can also provide cosmetic procedures for aging or damaged skin.
Dermatologists can also determine if your skin symptoms are the result of an underlying problem elsewhere in your body. They are a wealth of information and education for your skin’s best health.
How do you find a good dermatologist?
When looking for a dermatologist, you want to find one who is board certified and has great reviews. Ask your friends who they use and what they think. Word of mouth is sometimes the best way to find a healthcare specialist. Check with the American Academy of Dermatology for a list of dermatologists in your area to consider.
What to look for on your first visit?
- Take a list with you of questions including any skin conditions or worries that you want the dermatologist to look at.
- Take a list of any medications that you are currently taking as well as everything that you are using on your skin, including makeup, cleansers, creams, lotions.
- Is there a long wait? Are you ok with that? If not, you might want to find a dermatologist with less wait time.
- Does your dermatologist introduce him or herself to you?
- Does your dermatologist listen to your concerns? Ask questions for clarification? Explain what is going to happen next?
- Your dermatologist should make you feel comfortable and explain any concerns or treatment plans well to you. You should then ask any questions and take your time making a decision.
- When talking about procedures and treatments, a good question to ask is “what would you suggest if this was your child, wife, husband.”
- As your doctor/patient relationship grows, your trust in your dermatologist should also grow.
Dr. Aboutalebi is Fort Worth’s recognized top doctors and has received the Patient’s Choice Award for several years. You can rest assured that your skin is in the right hands. Call today to schedule your skin exam at Northstar Dermatology.