Skin care doesn’t have to be complicated if you don’t want it to be. A simple skincare routine includes these basic three steps: cleansing, moisturizing and protecting the skin.
- The general rule of thumb is to wash your face twice a day – once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Cleansing removes skin-care products, makeup, excess oil, sweat, pollutants and other debris off.
- Be gentle as you clean your skin. Don’t scrub the skin as this can cause unnecessary irritation or inflammation.
- Gentle, hydrating cleansers are usually well-tolerated by everyone and won’t strip the skin of moisture or natural oils. Some of our favorites include CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser and Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
- Moisturizer helps keep skin hydrated and healthy.
- They can help serve as a physical barrier and prevent irritation, dryness and cracking.
- We typically recommend oil-free, fragrance-free moisturizers because they are well-tolerated by most skin types including sensitive skin and acne-prone skin.
- If you only apply one product every day, it should be sunscreen. Sun damage causes skin cancer, sun burns, pigmentation and premature aging.
- We recommend use of a broad-spectrum (protecting from UVA and UVB rays) sunscreen with SPF 30+ daily.
- Pro tip: You can use a moisturizer that has at least SPF 30 and broad-spectrum protection to combine step 2 and 3.
- Try different formulations to find the right fit for you. After all, the best sunscreen is the one that makes you want to apply it every day.
- When extended sun exposure is unavoidable, don’t forget to reapply sunscreen every 2 hours and wear protective clothing such as wide-brimmed hats and long sleeve shirts.
Going the Extra Mile
Once you have a basic routine down, you can gradually begin to add additional steps as you see fit. A good place to start is with an over the-counter or prescription topical retinol or retinoid. This can be added to your evening routine to help boost collagen, improve pigmentation and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Another great product to add is a vitamin C serum in the morning. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that helps prevent damage from free radicals caused by UV damage and air pollution. It can improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and brighten your skin complexion.
- Less is more – Often, using a few active ingredients is all you need. Try new products one by one so you can see how your skin reacts.
- Consistency is key – As with so many things in life, consistency is what results in real results.
- Have patience – It often takes two to three months of consistent use to see benefits, so stick to your routine and give it time.